I guess I'm a gal who's sensitive to sounds. Sometimes I just cannot handle a thing, and it begins to grate on me and I want to rip out my hair and the hair of the person making the sound, and your hair too, just for good measure. Sorry.
1. the jackhammer. This one is typical. No one likes this.
2. Dentist's drill. Again, normal. It is evil.
3. any electrical saw. This is especially annoying when it goes on feet away from my door, and also the floor above my apartment for months and months. And months.
4. any blending going on with the blender, for an extended period of time.
5. The vacuum. It hits all of my annoying nerves at the same time.
6. Screechy breaks of the subway train. Have that go on long enough and I'M the Crazy Lady you rode on the train with that day.
Sean and i were talking about why these things annoy me, because when I'm the one doing the vacuuming (or sawing or jackhammering) it doesn't bug me. We decided it has more to do with the unpredictability of it. The lack of rhythm that i can't control. It is extremely dissonant and unpleasant and, I think, reflects that harmony and steadiness in all kinds of things in the world make for a happy life.