Sean and I are back from our dream vacation to Antigua which was, in a word, AMAZING. I'll try to put up pics soon but in the meantime, I kept a "trip quotes" log. Yes, you're welcome. Here are some of the best. We had so many good ones.
"I don't like tests that I can fail, but I can't pass."
-Sean, going through airport security
"A best friend is a sister that destiny forgot to give you."
-Skymall magazine. I have no idea what that quote means.
We had a plethora of spoonerisms this trip. (where you accidentally switch the first letters of words/phrases..) Here are a couple:
"We could ask if they could mooz our revervations (move our reservations) and change our plight flans...(flight plans)
-Sean, San Juan airport in Puerto Rico. Flans! Ha ha.
"I don't tap the biggers" (tip the baggers)
This one is less of a quote and more of a funny thing that you may have to have been there for, but i'll give it a try. It made me laugh and laugh. First, you should know that Sean is pretty slim so skinny jokes are very commonplace.
From San Juan to Antigua we had to take a small American Airlines plane called American Eagle. It was a small, propellor plane. Everyone was seated and before we started going they got on the speaker and announced that we were bottom heavy, and could two people from the back to move to the front. A minute or two later, 2 people moved up and we were ready to go. Sean and I joked about how sad it was for those people (even though they weren't handpicked. i'm sure they volunteered) and how would you like to be them. "Could the fatties in 17F and 18B please move to the front? you're weighing us down." Then, we joked about if Sean was back there they'd be like "Mm.. no.. you can stay here. will you just hand up your backpack?" That last quote was all sean and i laaaughed. Anyway, maybe it's not that funny. oh well.
I had several dumb/flustered Jen moments where one might say "use your words, jen." For some reason i was stuttering like mad at this moment and this is basically what came out of my mouth:
"is there a.. can we.. is there a where...zer a place we can buy bottled water?" Sean staring at me, then says thoughtfully: "Is there a where?"
(Sean has this great ability to say the funniest things in a dry, calm manner. He's very chill and quiet but the funniest things come out of his mouth.
Going along with that calm manner, as we were swimming in the luscious sea...
Sean, casually: "That looks like a mousetrap right below your feet"
Jen: "Uhhh.. not something I want to hear!!!" frantically swimming away.
Other trip highlights include:
1) The beach 20 feet away from our hotel room patio.
2) the tree frogs that chirped in the trees around the pool at night. It was the strangest sound. It sounded electronic..like digi-frogs. seriously have never heard anything like it in my life.
3) Playing nerdy geography games like "race to see who can write down all the states" and "name as many countries in africa as you can" (37) AND liking it!
4) The gorgeous, beyond belief beauty of the Caribbean Sea and how warm it was. I was struck by its brilliance at all times. Out of this world.
5) Our face-off with the crab (pics coming).
6) Our favorite activity: shell-searching while swimming, becoming super adept at picking them up with our toes, and having it become an obsession. "This.. THIS one will be amazing!! i know it!"
7) Miraculous day 3 appearance of 3 exotic Caribbean islands on the horizon. It was kind of hazy until then: (from left to right) Montserrat, Redonda, and part St Kitts & Nevis.
8) going along with that, just BEING where we were. I could hardly believe it. Being on this tiny beautiful island with all these other island nations close by that you can actually see. It kind of boggles my mind.
9) The food was pretty spectacular. One major highlight: Conch fritters.
10) We ate our meals at a kind of open pavillion that was outside. While we ate breakfast one morning, really pretty birds would swoop and perch SUPER close to us. Like, on our table. It was crazy. I'm kind of into birds lately (see post on mockingbirds) and it was so cool to see them up close like that. Sean fed one some cake.
Anyway, there are maaany many more things I could blab about but I don't want to bore you with them all right now. So maybe more later. :) We seriously had an amazing time and we are starting to wonder if it really was a dream. It was pretty much perfect.