The environment in which the experiment was conducted was highly controlled. i.e. I sat around and watched television and this movie was on no less than 500 times over a period of months. I watched it all the way one time and realized, eureka! (<-- italicized. that means important.) This movie is... awesome! Throughout my experiment I would introduce an independent variable in the form of a new show or movie that was on. Even one I had liked, one I knew would tempt me. What I found was startling. I would be watching this independent variable and then there was a quiet whisper, maybe a monkey whisper--i don't know, but something would draw me back to the Planet and though i might not have watched the whole thing through each time it was on, i would watch again for several minutes and i realized that yep, again, it is AWESOME. What makes it awesome? a list.
1. Charlton Heston--HELLO, are you kidding me? this already catapults the movie very near to the top of the list. I love how he looks 80 in this picture, yet is still hot.
2. The story & premise. Humans land on a planet where apes are the supreme species? what?? It is mind boggling, innovative and I want to see more.
3. All the many many monkeys.
4. The dialogue. "Get your paws off me you damn dirty ape!" is one of the best lines ever. I also liked the funny lines like "human see, human do."
5. Charlton Heston.
6. Stubborn Dr. Zaius and his flaming orange hair.
7. The ending--WHAT? I was thrown. I won't give it away, but when Taylor throws himself to the sand in agony and cries, "You maniacs!...." I was moved.
I love that when i first saw it, i hadn't really seen any of it previously and therefore didn't know a lot about it. I had my own special POTA